Thursday, April 5, 2012

{Autism Awareness: Helping a family in need.}

~~~SO FAR WE HAVE RAISED $200 TO HELP THIS FAMILY. THANK YOU!~~~

Hi friends! I have something very special to share with you today! Do you remember back in August when our iPad miracle happened? If not, you can read all about it HERE. In short, through the kindness of this wonderful blogging community I'm part of and our family and friends, in a matter of two short weeks time, we were gifted an iPad for our 7 year old son Carter who has autism. 

1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls) are diagnosed with autism.

The gift of the iPad has been life changing for our family. I goes with us everywhere and it has become a tool that we use for communication as well as sensory breaks. It's something he'll "work" for and if you have or know a child with autism, you know how HUGE that is. 

We have been so incredibly blessed by this wonderful tool that I knew I wanted to pass along the blessing to another family. I get to introduce you to that family today! 

Meet Ashlee and her family.


What makes this family so unique is that 4 of their 5 children are diagnosed with autism (aspergers specifically.) I first met Ashlee {mom} through her blog and Twitter and then we got to meet in person at a blogging conference last spring. She's amazing. Knowing how much I struggle day to day with my one child with autism, gives me an enormous amount of respect and compassion for Ashlee as she raises these special kids. Here is Ashlee to give you a bit of their story...

My name is Ashlee. I'm a cake decorator, a blogger, a wife and most importantly a mother.  Like many of you my days revolve around driving to and from school, homework, piano lessons, scouts, PTA, church and in the evening when the house is quiet and everyone is sleeping I get to enjoy MY hobbies- creating and blogging!  Pretty normal, huh?

But there is something different about my life.  Three years ago my children were diagnosed with aspergers.
The question I always get asked is what is aspergers.  It's of course different in each case, but the basics are the same.  Aspergers is a difficulty with communication, social skills and behavior.
 
They have difficulty reading social cues, body language and facial expressions.  And often have strong reactions to lights, sounds, tastes, smells and textures.  We travel with our own bedding because my kids can't stand the feel of other sheets, and don't get me started on clothing!
Sometimes they have a problem making their wants and needs known, often they don't know why they are frustrated and don't always know how to express it.  They are very rule bound and very literal.  Humor and sarcasm are often lost on them (not always though) and they are very VERY sensitive.
Of course there are lots of strengths as well!  They are incredibly intelligent, they tend to have savant like talents, and are amazing with all things electronic.  They are great with organization (they tend to be OCD- but so am I so I LIKE that part) and beyond artistic.  They are honest and kind and absolutely wonderful siblings.
For me the diagnosis was bittersweet.  While no one want's their children to be diagnosed with something they can't fix, but it's so nice to KNOW.  To have an answer to why my children were having such a difficult time in life.  But at the end of the day the diagnosis doesn't change anything.  They are the same children as the day before, MY children.  The knowledge the diagnosis brings makes me a better mother I can educate myself, others and better prepare my kids for the rest of their lives!
Luckily we have been blessed to have our kids enrolled in an amazing charter school that specializes in kids on the spectrum.  They teach not only reading, math and science, but they also teach social skills and provide a safe environment where our kids can be themselves.  Also they know all the latest tools to help our kids!  Like body socks, weighted blankets, ipads, etc...  They not only give the kids great tools, but us parents tools too.
In the end I'm just doing my best, I love my children, my husband and my life. It's not that different than what every other parent is trying to do!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Because April is Autism Awareness month, I want to bless the socks off of this family and give them the gift of an iPad that they can use for communication, sensory stimulation, and education for their children.

So what do you think? Can we do it??? 
If you are interested in donating to help this wonderful family get an iPad, just use the "donate" button below. The funds are going straight to the family and Ashlee will make sure to give me updates along the way! I'm so excited for this! Truly giddy with hope that I can bless another family like ours was blessed! Please feel free to help me spread the word by blogging, tweeting, FBing anything! The goal is to simply pay it forward and bless a family in need!







6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and letting people know about these special children. My son was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 9. He is now 21 and doing really well! I am so glad that you were able to find a school and environment that supports them!Best of luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your heart EO!! I will be helping you pay it forward for sure! I think I might just do an email blast as well because this is something worth blasting for. :-) I know a few Asperger Angels myself and I know they would have benefited greatly from knowledge like your family has gleaned (and others). *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Ash to pieces! Just made a donation and off to share this link on FB! Thanks for organizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Ashlee!! Her kids are stinkin cute too! helping get the word out. :)
    take care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know and love Ashlee and I am so happy to help her out (as well as her cute kiddos). She totally deserves this, she is amazing! Thanks so much for doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your generous donations! I am in awe and humbled my those I do and those I don't know who are so willing to help my children! Love you all so very very much!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...