Friday, October 14, 2011

{learning a new skill}

Hi friends! I am in the process of re-teaching myself to crochet. I was taught the  basics when I was 10, but never actually made anything. I see all kinds of pretty crocheted things on Pinterest and have been wanting to really learn.
Check out some of theses pretties I pinned this week!

image
image
image

To practice my new skill, I have been making some Urban Turban Headbands. It’s a great pattern. They are really simple and have been a great way for me to practice. Here is my first one. My very first completed crochet project EVER!!! It’s definitely not perfect, but I did it all by myself! I love crocheted accessories. They are so cozy and fall-y…to bad it’s been 100 degrees all week! Global climate change…ugh. 

110_5451
  It’s been a pretty rough week in our house. The little man is really struggling. Anyhow, having some downtime to sit and crochet has been very therapeutic for me. So far, I have finished 3. The mustard one is the best. I had an “aha moment” about halfway through that one and it turned out really good!

110_5456

And since I can’t not sew for more than a few days {craft ADD} I made a super cute Crochet Hook Clutch following THIS TUTORIAL. Love it. Something cute to hold all my essentials!

110_5452
110_5453
110_5454

It lives in my yarn tub with all my pretty yarn.
In case you want to learn this wonderful skill too…go get this booklet from Michael’s. I got it a few years ago, but they still have it. 

110_5455

The lessons are really easy to follow and it really did only take a day while the little man was at school! Don’t worry, I won’t be making an afghan or doll dress anytime soon! I’ll stick to the cute accessories thankyouverymuch.
Happy Friday everyone!
Elizabeth

P.S...since the feedback on these was so great, I went ahead and listed them in THE SHOP. They are made to order so specify your color preference at checkout!

8 comments:

  1. Great job!! I love the little clutch, too! 2 weeks ago I taught myself to crochet because I needed something to keep me off of my feet these last few weeks of my pregnancy. I LOVE it! I love finding new ideas on Pinterest, too - so many great tutorials available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed that you learned that in a day... and personally, I am SOOO glad you aren't crocheting a doll dress like that... little weird in my opinion.

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO awesome!!! Great job! I learned how in college but have not done it in a long while. May have to give it another go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I crocheted my daughter a baby blanket when I was pregnant with her (9 years ago). It turned out super cute but I haven't attempted anything else since... Your headbands are super cute though and I'm sure they will come in handy in a couple of more months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so glad for you to learn and start making things, I know it must be the most fun! I'd like to learn but alas, arthritis in my hands will prevent that late-life desire :) Have fun crocheting!

    Mary @ Redo 101

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've totally started to pick up crochet again too! And I did the same thing, when I realized I didn't have a place for all those hooks I made a roll up hook holder (my own impromptu pattern). Maybe I'll try the headband soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think crocheting is so addicting...and for some reason I crochet so much in the fall. That is what all my blog posts have been lately lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you on After Nine To Five's link up for favorite posts of the month! You are awesome for learning how to crochet! I always have wanted to! I love loom knitting because it's soooo easy but hope to eventually cross over into the real art of crochet and/or knitting with needles. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...