Thursday, January 19, 2012

{Miss America Party}

Last Saturday I got to attend a really fun party! It was a Miss America Party complete with tiaras and junk food and a talent competition! We had the BEST time!


My friends did such a great job putting this party together! I'm excited to share with you the details so you can throw your own next year! Or you can throw a Miss Universe party if you just can't wait that long!

There must be at least 10 guest in attendance so you can have your top 10 finalists. We actually had 20 girls so we shared our state. 2 Miss Wisconsin's, 2 Miss Georgia's etc...

What to bring:
Jammies, Tiara, $15, an appetizer or dessert, a goofy "talent".

Each guest must come in jammies and a tiara. 


You sign in and give your money {cash prize of $100 if you win, $50 for the runner up!} Throughout the night our hostesses gave out prizes for best pageant hair, cutest jammies, etc...



We potlucked it junk food style so everyone brought either an appetizer or a dessert.
You have your guests come about 2 hours before the competition begins and that's when you have your own fun!

Talent Competition!
Each guest is asked to come prepared with a goofy talent! We had some pretty good ones! Mine was napkin folding. I did the bow and the pocket. Fancy stuff.


We also had talents like balancing a spoon on your nose, ribbon dancing, blindfolded card shuffling, the waterfall braid, and my personal favorite...stuffing yourself in a suitcase and letting another "contestant" wheel you around. Fabulous. 




Question Time!
Every Miss America finalist must answer a very important question. Upon arrival we all give a "platform" {on a sticky address label to wear} to speak on {i.e. world hunger, the right to bare arms, global warming, etc...} because each contestant ties their platform into EVERYTHING They talk about! At one point in the evening we all chose a number out of a bowl and out of the Kid's Book of Questions we were asked the question with our number and had to answer tying our platform into it. These were pretty funny because the questions in the book are silly and random (hello, it's for kids!) and to have to tie in something "serious" was pretty amusing! 

Here are a few examples...one of the platforms was "public education" and her question was something like "if you could chose one, would you rather be a bed-wetter for reals, but only your family would know, or have an un-true rumor at school that you were a bed-wetter?" So because her "platform" was public school, she chose to really be a bed-wetter and have only her family know because kids in public school are mean. Another platform was "global warming" and her question was "what is your favorite holiday?" so she answered something like "My favorite holiday is the 4th of July because it's really warm outside and wouldn't it be so great if it were warm like that ALL THE TIME???" You get the idea!

Show Time!
The actual pageant starts at 9pm and by then we'd already done some eating and chatting, and talent, and question answering. Prizes were given for best hair, best talent, and best jammies too! So then it was time for the show. Chris Harrison was our gracious host.

The real fun starts when they get down to the top 10 which happens pretty quickly! Once the top 10 is announced, our hostess paused the show. She wrote each of the top ten states (twice because there were 20 of us) on a piece of paper and put them in a bowl. We each picked a state and for the remainder of the night, that was our girl!!! I was Miss Louisiana. Then we were given a ribbon sash to write our state on.

Everything moves really fast from here on out! The actual contestants do their talent and answer their questions from the judges and you are rooting for your girl so bad it HURTS!!! After all there is a cash prize to be had!

Then the finalists are announced so all our girls lined up by the TV! Miss Louisiana failed me.


Oh the suspense!!! Some girls got the boot and all that's left is the winners!!!


So these two lovely ladies were Miss Wisconson and got to go home with $100 each! And for everyone else...


Yep. The pile of shame. So sad :(

This party was an absolute blast! I can't wait for next year! I hope you love it and plan one too! If you have any questions at all, I will answer in the comment section below!

Elizabeth
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. SUCH a fun idea!! my whole family gathered around the TV to watch.. we had score cards, and made our predictions. My cousin was Miss Texas so obviously I was rooting for her.. but WHAT a fun party! I will definitely have to do something like this in the future!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a cute party! Super fun and unique theme and great ideas for activities! It looks like everyone had a blast too.
    I would love it if you would share your party at my "It's a Celebration" link party.
    http://www.inspirationforcelebration.com/2011/12/its-celebration-link-party-december.html
    I think my readers would love this too!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg how fun is this?!?! wish i had a party with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this looks SOO fun! I think I'll need to do this next year. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like SO much fun! Cute ideas all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CUTEST party idea!! Love it! Thanks for linking up :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo this looks kinda wonderful hehe :)

    I saw that you're attending the meetup, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm really looking forward to meeting you! Hoorayy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow!!!!! i missed out! This is the kind of party I would love to attend! The talent show would have been so fun! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com on Sunday evening. THANKS FOR SHARING. I'm going to do one of these in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a super fun idea!! i wish i had thought of this! i found your blog from the socal blogger meetup page...i'm going to!

    now following you and see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO FUN!!! This would be a fun idea to do any time of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looked like a fun party! A great party theme!
    http://thelatestfind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...