Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Flour Sack Towel Sewing Machine Cover {TUTORIAL}

*originally posted at Ladybug Blessings, but in case you missed it...here it is!*

I recently re-did my office space and one of the projects was this super cute {and very cost effective} sewing machine cover. I am going to share with you how I did it!

Sewing Machine Cover

110_4855

First you will need to gather your basic sewing supplies. For the cover, you’ll need a flour sack towel {I got mine in a 5 pack at Walmart}, 3 coordinating fabrics for the lining and ruffles, and some ribbon for the ties.

110_4856

Square up the towel. Measure your sewing machine and decide how big you need your cover to be. I cut my towel and lining piece to be 15x26”. You will have a little piece of the towel left…I used it to back my mug rug :)

110_4858

110_4860

Cut your ruffle strips 1.5'”x30”.

110_4861

Zig zag along each edge of your strip.

110_4862

Run a gathering stitch down the center of each strip. Gather all the strips to make them ruffley. Set aside.

110_4863

Place the towel piece over the machine to see where to place your first ruffle.

110_4864

Pin your ruffles in place. Stitch them down with a straight stitch right on top of the gathering stitch. This gives it a shabby imperfect look. You do not have to follow my ruffle method…I am a bit unconventional :)

110_4865

Next is the ribbon ties. You need 4 10” pieces of ribbon.

110_4868

Pin Your ribbons in place 4.5” from each corner. For extra insurance, I like to place the ribbon 1/4” over the edge.

110_4870

Pin the lining to the ruffley towel RST. Stitch all the way around using 1/4” seam allowance. Leave a 2-3” gap for turning. Backstitch at start and stop.

110_4873

Clip your corners. Turn cover inside out.

110_4874

Topstitch.

110_4876

Look, you’re all done! Easy peesy right?

110_4877

And guess what??? It’s reversible! How fun is that?

110_4878

Here it is in my office.

Hope you enjoy this tutorial! Have a happy day!

10 comments:

  1. I love it - so cute and fresh...totally gonna make one of these soon! Thanks for the tut!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a neat office. ;)
    thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and beautiful! So cute!

    hugs
    Cidinha

    ReplyDelete
  4. yours turned out so cute, love the ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh!!! Love it...and I'm working on something currently almost identical!! So funny, mine just has more ruffles! :) Thanks for linking to Fabric Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so super cute. Thanks so much for linking up to my Swing into Spring party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! The ruffles are such a cute added touch:) I was looking online for ideas to make one and I think this is the one I want! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm now following your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just perfect for my sewing machine, but I think I just might make one to cover my desk top computer screen when it's not in use.(less dusting).

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...