Wednesday, March 28, 2012

{WIWW...a little re-fashion}

Hi friends! Thanks so much for coming by to check out my Skinny Jeans reveal!!!

 So let me tell you a little story...

Last week I went shopping for new jeans. I've come to the realization that as I get older {sigh} the junior's dept is not a good place for me to buy jeans. Any extra lbs I happen to carry are all in my stomach which makes low rise jeans a very bad idea. Much more flattering to have them come up a little higher on my waist.

Anyhow, went to a store. Tried on a few pairs. Fit well. Loved them. Started having major anxiety about dropping $80 on two pairs of jeans when I still had more spring items to pick up for myself. So I put back the jeans, but got an idea! 

I've seen lots of tutorials on the interwebs about hemming your own jeans, but keeping the original hem in tact and altering regular jeans into skinny jeans, but until now, I was too terrified to try! But determined to save a buck {or $80} I hit the Goodwill to see what I could find. And let me tell you, I scored BIG.TIME.

{that's my current fave pair of skinnies on top of the new flares} 

I definitely had to dig, but I got these Gap Flare Jeans that retail for $60ish in perfect condition for $8. AWESOME. But as you can tell, they were very flared and WAY to long for me {I'm a shorty at 5'2} so I knew I had some work to do, but for saving that kind of $$$, that's fine with me! As soon as I got them home, they went in the wash because they stunk. Why do Goodwill clothes always stink? Anyhow...

Once they were clean, I followed THIS TUTORIAL to turn them from flares to skinnies. And THIS TUTORIAL to hem them leaving the original hem in tact. Both tutorials are GREAT and very easy to follow!

*NOTE* If you decide to try this and need to make BOTH alterations like I did, hem them BEFORE you make them skinny or you will have a difficult time fitting the skinny leg under your sewing machine. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

Want to see how they turned out???

What do you think? I love them! They are so comfortable!
Scarf: Handmade by me
Cardi: Target
Top: Local boutique
Jeans: Gap (from Goodwill for $8!!!) refashioned by me
Flats: Target
So hit up your local Goodwill! Find a pair of good quality jeans that fit you will in the waist, bum, thighs and do the rest of the fixing yourself! It's super easy! Quick fun project, I promise!

I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy today!
pleated poppy

Pin It


  1. What a great idea, and they look great! I might have to give this a try!

  2. They look great! I have a pair that are both too flared for my taste and too long for my short legs. I'll have to do this, thanks for the tip as to the order of alterations!

  3. Oh they look great, well done! Want to make me some? :)


I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...